The 5 Most Common Injuries in Car Accidents
Posted May 19, 2023 in Personal Injury
Car Accident Lawyer
Recent data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reveals that on average, 116 individuals lost their lives daily in car accidents during 2022’s initial nine-month period. This accounts for an estimated total of approximately 31,785 fatalities within the first three quarters of the year.
Car crashes can be caused by a range of elements, which encompass:
- Distraction while driving
- Driving at excessive speeds
- Operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol
- Engaging in reckless driving behaviors
Car accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, from minor to severe. Below, we will discuss the five most common injuries that can occur in car accidents:
- Whiplash: Also known as acceleration-deceleration injury, whiplash occurs when the head and neck are abruptly jerked forward and backward due to a collision. This injury primarily affects the cervical spine and surrounding tissues, causing pain, stiffness, headaches, and difficulty moving the neck.
- Bone Fractures: Bone fractures are common injuries in car accidents, especially in high-speed collisions or direct impacts. Bones most prone to fractures are the ribs, skull, limb bones, and vertebrae. Depending on the severity of the fracture, surgery, immobilization, and rehabilitation may be required for a complete recovery.
- Head and Brain Injuries: Car accidents can cause traumatic head and brain injuries, ranging from concussions to more severe traumatic brain injuries. These injuries can have long-term effects on brain function, cognition, and quality of life. Seeking immediate medical attention if a head injury is suspected is crucial for proper diagnosis and treatment.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Car accidents can result in spinal cord injuries, which can lead to partial or complete paralysis. These injuries are extremely serious and can have a significant impact on mobility and quality of life. Intensive rehabilitation and specialized medical care are necessary to help individuals adapt to their new reality and maximize their recovery.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Soft tissues such as muscles, tendons, and ligaments can sustain damage in car accidents due to the force and impact involved. Common injuries include sprains, strains, and tissue tears. These injuries can be painful and may require physical therapy, rehabilitation, and adequate recovery time.
The Importance of Consulting a Lawyer
In the event of being involved in a car accident, it is crucial to seek legal advice to protect your rights and pursue fair compensation for your injuries and damages. Consulting a car accident lawyer is essential to ensure proper legal procedures are followed and to receive the necessary support throughout the process.
Thanks to our friends at Strong Law Accident & Injury Attorneys for sharing this information.